Monday, November 15, 2010

Tale of Two Walls

Chapter 3
Filled with contempt I gazed up at the wall, studying it, searching it. I wanted to know everything about it so that I would make sure not to place it in my own wall. The small clefts where the birds could make their nests, The Wall cared for it's inhabitants, but it never cared for me. The rough places that could be climbed by people looking for fun had hurt my hands. The shade that animals took refuge in blocked out the light of the sun. I wanted none of those.

'I know' I thought, 'I will have this wall torn down, and then no one will be able to liken The Wall to mine. But when I asked the authority to tear it down He said

“Why? Why should I destroy The Wall that has sheltered you from the heat of the sun, that has brought you food and provided for your needs? The Wall has even taught you, challenged you and inspired you to build your own wall. This is a good wall, you do not have to like everything about this wall, but choose what you like and leave the rest.“

'I never thought of that.' I recoil as a new revelation of what The Wall means hits me. With these new idea running laps through my head I turn around and my gaze falls upon one like a Son of Man who appears transfixed with something up in the sky. Following his gaze I see only The Wall, but I know that is not what He is looking at. What He sees is above The Wall, but I have not seen it because I have been to busy looking at the wall.

Curious to know what it is, I begin walking towards the Man for a better view. It is only when I reach Him that I see that the ground he is standing on is perfect ground for building my own wall. Not only that, but from here The Wall that I hated doesn't seem so bad. In fact there are some things that I like about it, somethings that I want to use from it and incorporate into my own wall. This time, I won't be tearing anything down, I will only build upa wall that will draw people so that from my wall, they can see the beautiful sight that the Man is staring at.

No comments:

Post a Comment