Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Southern California, I mean South Africa

Well, let me see. I suppose that I shall have to do a lot of updating in order to catch people up on stuff. But in all honesty there’s probably no way to get you up to date on anything. But here’s my plan. My time in South Africa was really cool and we did outreach in four different locations so I will split those up into four different blog updates beginning with the beginning of course.
Our first few weeks involved lots of hard work and long days of construction, well mostly demolition. We, our team of ten, spent 2 weeks working at an orphanage to renovate one of the homes. Because, well, you see this is not a classic orphanage. The organisation has felt that they are to create homes for the children complete with parents and not just a mass group of kids with care takers. This adds a lot more to what they have to do, including having parents. So for one of the parents and her daughters they’re planning a new house, as they are in the process of redoing all of the homes, and we were an answer to their prayers to have someone come and get it going.
It was strange to do so much practical work on the outreach as opposed to relationship building and conversation; instead we were just doing work. Although, when I look back on it now it was totally just preparing us as a team. We would during this time get used to many things South Africa and begin developing our hunger for getting to know people and tell them about who Jesus is in our lives.


For two weeks we tore down brick walls that were double brick thick, tore out tile floors and tried to keep the tiles, busted holes in the wall to make room for windows, tried to plan how to fit new doors in and new bathrooms. Luckily a few of us have construction experience, however, going from wood framed houses to brick buildings is aggravating to say the least. Things go slower, they’re more complicated and plumbing problems are ridiculous. But I won’t bore you with the details.

These two weeks were primarily filled with practical work but since we were the new people there, a good number of the kids would come around and hang out after school. We had brought some skateboards with us and they loved skating, but I think more than that they liked to borrow our iPods. And what stood out the most for me was how stinking tough they were. Man they loved to wrestle and fight. I can’t even call it play fighting, but it was funny to see them get knocked right down on their bum and jump back up ready to go again.

This time was the beginning of leading people on an outreach, and man I tell you what that ain’t easy. You have to do all the work that they’re doing and then more. Not to mention take into consideration who each individual is: their strengths, weaknesses, life experiences, and where they’re at. Now if you know me a little bit then you’ll know that I’ve got only a few modes of operation: off, slightly on and going BIG. Fortunately I had two other amazing leaders with me and we turned to God in prayer so much that I really felt that He was there with us and guiding us. Not only did He lead us through stuff but He never stopped teaching me. In this part of outreach I started learning about staying aware of what is going on with people around me. I’m not going to say that I learned this and am now a pro, but I feel like I have grown in it.
Well, I’m not going to lie, it was good times, breaking down walls, sleeping and experiencing my first African style church service. WOOT WOOT!

This little update so does not do this portion of outreach Justice, but I just do not know what to put in that would. It’s hard to explain, so this will have to do.
Matt Clarke
Go Big or Go Home!

1 comment:

  1. Very cool! You must have just posted this - it's still Tuesday in Canada! It must be really hard to put it into words. Bet you enjoyed the African church service - I'm guessing there was some pretty amazing singing and rhythm!!

    ReplyDelete