Saturday, November 14, 2009

A Day in the Life

Hmm, this is an interesting conundrum. I'm sitting here in Davos Switzerland busy almost every day all day and I can't think of anything to write about, go and figure that one out. So I've decided, just now in this very moment that if you've got any requests I can certainly write about anything.

Let's go with A Day in the Life
So, I wake up around 6:30 or so and hit the snooze button like any normal person right. I then make myself get out of bed before 6:45, put on some clothes, and no, they are not necessarily clean ones, and head out to the community room. Once there I make sure that there is music and room for Coach Powers. CP being our physical trainer; he doesn't actually show up each day we just use his program every other morning to keep in shape and ready for the slopes. CP is half an hour long and is followed by breakfast of bread/toast with jam and a bowl of cornflakes. I have of late taken to buying my own eggs as I'm not eating meet and like having some protein in my diet. After eating we come together as a group for a morning devotional or mini sermon called a sermonette and then we disperse for quiet time, or seeking God's face. This can be sitting quietly and contemplating, playing/listening to music or, my favorites, journaling and reading the bible.
After we come back together we participate in worship be it music, singing, drawing or some cool way in which to glorify God, intercessory prayer, and/or lectures with our weekly guest speakers.
Well, you may be thinking to yourself, that sounds like a busy day, and it is. But we're only up to lunch time. After eating it's straight into staff meeting for me. And each afternoon holds something different. We get chances to do a bible study with the students, prepare for outreach, read one of the required reading books, work on our journal or book reports, prepare a teaching or sermonette and do research for and prepare for outreach.
Once we've done that, and help the students with their work duties, we get to eat dinner and jump into the evening schedule. Fun times, parties fires and marshmallows, or small group hang times where we get a chance to process the day, local outreaches and open nights of inviting the local people to our base for an evening. Of course this doesn't all happen in one night, but it all happens in a week.
Then we go to bed get up and start the next day. It is also, of course, a snowboarders DTS, so when in all of this do we have time to ride? Well we make time. We've got most weekends free to go and ride, and we will be making the most of them. This weekend is the first weekend that the slopes are open and I believe that most people are going to be so tired, how tired? SO tired, that they is gonna crash HARD in the evening.

It is unfortunate that I can not think of any good stories to tell. I know that cool stuff has happened, like we started climbing this mountain and it was cool to see these avalanche barriers and all these old walls that are almost 100 years old and were probably built by slow manual labor and brining the rocks up a few at a time with donkeys or horses. There are some cool pictures, but I don't have them :'( I know. oh wait, maybe I can find a link for you...Sorry, not at the moment, maybe later.

Oh, fun news, one of the buys here has a video camera that I can use and have some fun with. So it'll be good times all around. Perhaps I'll get some videos on line tomorrow morning. That'd be sweet eh?

Oh here's a funny story. Among my fellow staff are 3 Swiss Germans, 1 Swiss Italian 1 fellow Canadian and myself. Of all of them, the hardest one for me to listen to was the other Canadian. None of them are difficult to understand, it was just the strangest accent for me to hear. I told you it was a funny story.

Until next time,
Go Big or Go Home!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, busy guy! Isn't it amazing what they built 100 years ago, and it still stands the test of time? Yet here in Canada a building gets old, and we want to tear it down. That was one of the coolest things to see over there.

    Speaking of books... in your busy travels, have you had a change to pick up Eoin Colfer's continuation of H2G2 called "And Another Thing..." ? I have been debating it back and forth for the past couple weeks, not sure if I wanna read it if it's written by someone else!

    ReplyDelete