Thursday, August 13, 2009

Here i went, but There I arrived

I went to go somewhere and arrived at a destination much different than I expected. And the ensuing adventures are now, in hindsight, a delight. But of those adventures I can not yet write...in detail anyways

Two weeks and two days I have been here in India and I’ve been sent e-mails “How are you? Haven’t heard anything, hope you’re doing okay.” Wow, you love me! You really love me! But alas patience is a virtue. For me it’s only been a couple of weeks, but an excellent couple of weeks.
My first impressions upon arriving in India involve the bamboo scaffolding used in structural repairs to the international airport. I’ve seen other things since then that would boggle the mind of many of you and you simply would not get it. Others who’ve been these ways before would probably chuckle to yourself about my experience while reminiscing of your own adventures.
En-route to Kolkata I spent a day touring around Bangkok Thailand and I hated it; just a not fun place to be, especially for someone traveling around on limited funds. Upon leaving Thailand and entering India I realized I do not like cities, I don’t, they are terrible busy and are incredibly difficult to keep clean. Give me bush and backcountry experiences to make me happy. Yet here I am, in a city of several million people, most probably 10-12 million from the conversations I’ve had with others, and I am not being overwhelmed by it all. I praise God for he called me here and has given me what I need to do the work I am to do. Exactly what that is I am still unsure.
I have been volunteering at Daya Dan, an orphanage for mentally and physically handicapped children. I thought that this type of work would be the most difficult that I could do, and here I am doing it. Not only am I doing it but I love it. I did want to work at kalighat, home of the dying destitute, but the sister asked me if, as a long term volunteer, can you believe that, 2 months is considered long term? Sad, if I would be willing to work with the kids as they benefit from stability more so than the sick and dying.

Perhaps upon completing my time here I will have an opportunity to write down the stories in full. Until such time know that I am doing well now despite having been sick last week. I also have heaps of time for reading and have already finished 4 books and am working on a 5th; this all on top of reading my Bible. The biggest challenge is finding books for cheap, well not the finding of the book, but the getting it for cheap.

I can’t think of anything to write at the moment. Most of the stuff here is not suitable for a casual blog form and needs some time for me to digest from thought that I may excrete it was intelligible words. Some day.

but until then I'm still
~Matt Clarke, so
Go Big or Go Home!

2 comments:

  1. Good to hear that so far...I'll be excited to hear more when you figure out how to tell it! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Matt - glad to hear you're feeling better - we sent up a lot of prayer for you. I have a few stories of my own from my "Throw out your road map" road trip with Kym...and God. We discovered that the God Positioning System works better than the Global Positioning System and that He can indeed heal cars (power steering pumps to be specific) and that He has a great sense of humour - Kym's car broke down in Trinity County, California where we stopped in at a store called Selah (see notations in Psalms, means "pause" strangely enough) where we were directed to the Motel Trinity to an anointed room where strangely enough Kym received a word from God for the church that we were to go to that evening! After the service, car was healed and next day we carried on! Will have to write my story down to - maybe I'll send you an email about it. Where can we send you an IPOD - to Frank and Colleen's I'm assuming!!! Love you lots!

    ReplyDelete