Thursday, August 27, 2009

(Any Title Suggestions?)

So, upon reflecting about my last post “Some Things My Eyes Have Seen,” I feel like I have given Kolkata, India and the Indian people a bad wrap, which is most certainly not my intention. I feel that the issue that is the saddest part is money; money, the desire for which is the root of all evils. I recall at this time something said to me at a bible study where we discussed money; it came in the form of a warning not to get upset about what other people said. The phrase was this: “people get funny, when you start talking about money.” I believe that is true. I was privileged enough to e present at a celebration of the MC Anniversary at which the sister’s re-affirmed their vows of poverty and chastity. After words, I was discussing this with a friend and he mentioned that in the western world, specifically the church, that a vow of poverty is considered a foolish thing. Why? Because one needs to be able to support ones family; but is God not our provider?
I do not have the answer, but I do know that I am afraid of returning to a wealthy country and more specifically what effect it will have on me.

But enough of that let me share about some of the splendid things I have seen here. In the midst of this expanse of decrepit buildings is a beautiful park. It does not go on as far as the eye can but it does go for a number of blocks in many directions. For me it is a nice retreat from the city being able to look a half a kilometer away over flat green ground. It was on one such walk through the park that I was invited to sit and chat with a man who was sitting there by the grass. In the end he seemed only interested in my money, but I liked sitting there and chatting for a bit.

The people here work so hard. How hard? SO hard! A typical day seems to be about 12 hours long. That’s what the waiters at the restaurants work, and no matter what time of day I go out I see the same rickshaw-men and taxi drivers in the same spots all the time. One of the waiters in the nearby tourist café speaks 7 languages, another many who runs a food stand speaks 4, I think, and has been working in that location for 40 years. There are those who work hard, and that is something I think is in the Indian culture. Some people have twisted that hard work to mean making money at all costs, but others want to provide for their families and be successful.

Talking with the other travelers, volunteers, and tourists here is also very enjoyable. It is from them that I’ve learned most of what I know of this place. Friends are easy to make as everyone enjoys hearing the stories of other people’s travels. I’ve even managed to toss the Frisbee around with a few other people. Perhaps on a day of better weather we could get a game of ultimate going. Of course much of my time is spent reading in my room, and I’ve noticed my writing style keeps changing slightly as I read different authors, strange that.

I really not sure what to write about further, but I think next week I will post some stories and more details about the place where I am volunteering. It’s a wonderful place, and as much as I want to go and help out in some of the other houses, I do not want to leave the kids.

Until next time,
~Matt Clarke
Go Big or Go Home!

No comments:

Post a Comment