Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Leaving somthing beautiful

I've left Kolkata.
I'm standing in an airport and it seems strange.
I'm sad to have left a place that, simply by being there, makes you think about your life in terms of your wealth and how to live out your faith.
I am sad to have left behind the kids of Daya Dan after watching them improve so much over the past two months.
I think most of all I am sad to leave behind my friends and fellow volunteers. Althought the best of them have either left already or will do soon enough, it doesn't make parting any easier. I think that a special shout must go out to Stephen, Grier Maria and Cassi. Y'all are the best.
I realised a couple weeks ago that leaving would be an important process for me as a volunteer. As someone who's considered to be long term, also being tall and wearing a hat makes me stand out a bit, the sisters would ask me to help out outside of the 'regular' volunteering. I found that somtimes being a favored or special helper gave me a sense of self importance that was not befiting of the reason I'd gone to Kolkata.

Let me tell you a true story. As I was serving in Kalighat, or the home for the dying destitute, a group of people came from the US to visit, or to have a look. As we were clearing the dishes after dinner, they were standing off to the side praying rather intensly. As they did this I passed by them three times.
The first time I thought to myself sarcasticly, "Well that's a lot of help!"
The second time I rebuked myself "I'm glad they're doing that. I don't see enough of that here."
The third time they were finishing up and getting ready to leave and I felt a little ill because "that come and gone is exactly what I'm like to some of the true long term volunteers and sisters" (some long term being 8 months, 1 year, 10 years, 15 years)

I want to go back to Kolkata, it's an amazing place, except for the honking, but I wonder if there's greater need of wolunteers elsewhere: with other Missionaries of charity houses throughout the world, with other volunteer organisations or with relief work organisations.

Now, however, I am fixing my eyes upon the next two weeks of breathing God in while I roam around New Zealand one last time and then a different type of service as a YWAM DTS staff member. The next adventure is lined up and waiting.

~Matt Clarke
Go Big or Go Home!

PS. There's no spell check here...sorry

1 comment:

  1. wow. that is some intensity of self reflection... I love what God can show us about ourselves whe we are that eager to listen. Thanks for the reminder

    ReplyDelete